This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email
Operating Division : TPT POD Corporate H/O
Position Title : Tax Manager
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Finance
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Divisional Financial Reporting Manager
Grade Level : E
Reference Number : 2003665
To ensure that corporate tax legislation is complied with so that there is accurate reporting and risks and opportunities are
1. Provide accurate month-end and year-end consolidated financial reporting of current tax and deferred tax for Transnet
Port Terminals TPT).
2. Responsible for all tax matters audited by TPT and Transnet external Auditors.
3. Responsible for ensuring divisional compliance with the Customs Act by assisting in developing and updating appropriate
policies and procedures in conjunction with Transnet Group Tax.
4. Conduct training on the policies and procedures for all staff at terminals and HQ.
5. Responsible for monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of Customs controls by managing Customers Champions
at all TPT terminals.
6. Serve as the liaison between Transnet Group Taxation and TPT including overall responsibility for implementing Transnet
Tax policies and procedures at a divisional level.
7. Member of the Transnet Tax Forum which is responsible for assisting in the formulation of the Transnet Tax Strategy.
8. Responsible for completion and submission of TPT’s consolidated income tax return in respect of Transnet Ltd annual tax
9. Responsible for completion and submission of TPT’s consolidated VAT return in respect of the Transnet Ltd monthly VAT
return (VAT 201).
10. Provide support to TPT Exco and Management on all tax related matters.
11. Engagement with external stakeholders (e.g. SARS, Customers, and Suppliers) on all TPT specific tax matters.
12. Maintenance and review of the SAP Tax Asset Register and reconciliation of tax and book value for all terminals.
13. Play an integral role in any related projects which will improve the controls, quality, integrity and efficiencies in asset and
tax reporting for Transnet.
14. Visit the terminals to increase the knowledge and awareness of corporate taxes which will result in accurate reporting.
Qualifications & Experience:
Post Graduate Degree / Diploma in Taxation as well as B.Com Accounting
Charted Accountant (South Africa) will be an advantage
At least 5 years’ experience in a similar environment at a management level
Sound knowledge of Income Tax, VAT and Customs & Excise Acts, Companies Act and Public Finance Management Act
Knowledge of Internal financial reporting standards (specifically Deferred Tax Standard)
SAP AA and FI modules
Experience in performing current and deferred tax calculations, VAT returns
Attention to detail
Ability to work to tight deadlines in a highly pressurised environment
Above average computer skills, particularly in MS Excel.
Good problem solving skills
Planning and organising
Strong communication skills
Good time management skills
to work independently