Senior Medical Officer reporting to Hospital Manager - The successful candidate will be responsible for the clinical care of all patients
• Clinical Care – Admission, physical examination, treatment regimen, follow-up and routine examinations of
patients. Pre-discharge evaluation, continuation of treatment, emergency care. Regular examination of
hospital staff according to company health surveillance policy Play an active role in the rehabilitation
• Patient Care Information System – Ensure the database is maintained concerning: Clinical, Gender, Diagnosis,
Treatment plan, Referrals, Deaths and Discharges.
• Research – Keep abreast with present developments in the field and to participate in research projects
relevant to the specific service field.
• Legislation, Standards, Policies and Procedures – Compliance with the rules and regulations of the Health Act,
Mental Act, LRA, OHSA. Adherence to company standards, policies and procedures, as well as DOH Service level agreement.
• Networking – Attendance of multi- disciplinary meetings. Consultation with colleagues, liaise with district
health and hospital service structures. Attendance of academic meetings. As a member of professional body.
• Training – In-service training of nursing and supplementary health professions and new MO/SMO appointees.
Clinical guidance to management.
• Ensure on-going medical care. Duty roster planning together with the Multi-Disciplinary Team to ensure
coverage of hospital.
• Supervision: Take care of Material resources in the Medical Departments.
• A formal, comprehensive referral should be written to the referral facility, and a copy made of same and this
must be placed in the patients file.
• All duties relevant to clinical care of patients
• MHCA report writing
• All duties pertaining to team interaction
• MBChB or equivalent
• Professional Registration and insurance HPCSA
• 3 years’ post internship experience is a requirement
• Experience in Internal Medicine, Rehab and Mental Health Rehab Knowledge, Skill and Experience
• Good understanding of mental health principles
• A valid SA Driver’s License
• Computer Literate
• Problem-solving, analysis and judgement
• Engaging diversity
• Verbal & written communication and
• Influencing and negotiating skills
• Drive & energy