Kendrick Recruitment is looking for a Junior Sous Chef for an award winning Luxury 5* Lodge in the Greater Kruger area. This is a live-in position with a market-related offering.
The Junior Sous Chef is responsible for the management of the kitchen under the Head Chef and Senior Sous Chef and assumes complete responsibility for the kitchen during their absence. The main purpose of the Junior Sous Chef is to ensure that the kitchen is supervised and that quality food is produced in a hygienic environment, in line with the required company standards. Portion control must be exercised according to the number of guests dining, and stock rotation in terms of the mise-en-place used in preparation of dishes. All kitchen equipment must be cared for, with breakages kept to an absolute minimum. The Junior Sous Chef must implement and adhere to health and hygiene standards and ensure that they play their part in the recycling process. Finally, the Junior Sous Chef must hand over responsibilities and requests to the following shift coming on duty and ensure that they receive a handover from the previous shift when coming on duty. This position is accountable to the Head Chef.
Skills & Experience:
· A minimum of 5 years of experience in a medium sized kitchen.
· Matric qualification.
· Professional cookery qualification (not a must, but would be advantageous).
· Assertiveness, patience and good organizational skills.
· Understanding of kitchen procedure and timing requirements and be able to plan accordingly.
· Passion for cheffing.
· Good communication skills.
· The ability to implement and maintain health and hygiene procedures.
· Knowledge of fire and safety procedures.
· First-Aid training (would be advantageous).
· The ability to deal with constructive criticism.
· Ability to present healthy, innovative and modern dishes.
· Core to the success of the individual in this role is that their personal values are aligned with the company’s.
· Business sense.
· Attention to detail.
· Team player.
· Commitment to quality.
· Quick decisions.
· Development of staff.
· Handle criticism.
Work Style and Approach:
· Curious and passionate about the industry.
· A collaborative working style.
· Has a flexible approach.
· Has a sophisticated approach to communicating via the various channels.
· A quick learner.
In broad terms the Junior Sous Chef oversees the following key result areas:
• Supervision and training of the kitchen staff in line with the company standard.
• Preparation of food, in line with company Standards of Excellence.
• Effective guest interaction to enhance guest satisfaction.
• Effective management support to staff canteen.
• Administration of orders to minimize shortages and wastage and effective stock control.
• Ensuring that the cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen is of the highest standard.
• Correct use and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
• Maintaining fridges and stores to the highest hygiene and stock rotation standards.
• Communication with kitchen and lodge front of house staff to ensure the smooth running of the department.
• Achieving service excellence though teamwork.