Protea Hotels by Marriott® is the leading hospitality brand in Africa and one of the most widely recognized hospitality brands on the continent, with over 90 hotels across South Africa, Zambia, Nigeria, Namibia, Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda. If you have a passion for delivering every guest a personalized service experience and desire to be part of the ‘Coolest Hotel Brand in South Africa’, join the Protea Hotels by Marriott® team today!
Accelerateis a youth development program in either hospitality management or professionalcookery that spans over a period of 3 years. It is aimed at South Africannationals; and is designed to successfully drive increased levels of engagementand interest into this ever-growing sector. The objective of Accelerateis to ensure that each individual receives development, both practical andformal academic, to serve as a foundation for their career in hospitality.
A requirement to apply for theAccelerate Program is a year of practical working experience in a hotel.If the individual completes the year of working experience with a hotel thatforms part of Marriott, the individual is referred to as an OrientationTrainee. The purpose of the Orientation year is for the candidate toobtain realism of career choice and suitability for the industry; beforeapplying and committing to the 3-year long program. Completing theOrientation year is not a guarantee that the candidate will be accepted ontothe 3-year long program and candidates will be required to apply for 1styear intake towards the end of their Orientation year.
Here’s toexploring, kick starting your dream career and joining us on your journey!
Duringthe Orientation year, Hospitality Management Trainees work in all the differentdepartments of the hotel and Professional Cookery Trainees work in all thedifferent sections that form part of, or contribute to, a hotel kitchenoperation. This is to gain practical insight into hotel operations and todecide whether to apply for the 3-year long program.
OrientationTrainees are required to follow all company policies and procedures; ensureuniform and personal appearances are clean and professional; maintainconfidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Welcome andacknowledge all guests according to company standards; anticipate and addressguests’ service needs; thank guests with genuine appreciation. Speak withothers using clear and professional language; answer telephones usingappropriate etiquette. Develop and maintain positive working relationships withothers; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees.Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards. Read and visually verifyinformation in a variety of formats; move, lift, carry, push, pull, and placeobjects weighing less than or equal to 5kg without assistance; stand, sit, orwalk for an extended period of time. Perform other reasonable job duties asrequested.
- Must be a South Africancitizen by birth
- Must be between the ages of18 and 22; and not turn older than 22 in the year being applied for
- Matric (Grade 12)certificate or equivalent accredited NQF or NCV Level 4 qualification
- Must have passed all 7Matric (Grade 12) subjects; preferably each subject must be achieved at50% and higher
- Candidates that do not meetthe required Matric results will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Only applicants that do nothave any post Matric / NQF 4 / NCV 4 qualifications will beconsidered
DOCUMENTATIONTO BE UPLOADED AS PART OF THE APPLICATION
- Identity document to verifyage and nationality
- Matric Certificate and/orStatement or Results (if currently in Matric, please submit yourSeptember report card)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter outlining thereasons for wanting to apply
What elsedo we offer you?
- A professional environmentto work in and the opportunity to learn from others in the hospitalityindustry;
- Being part of the biggesthotel company in the world and career possibilities within MarriottInternational;
- Personal coaching andtraining to support with your career development;
- A Take Care program; wefocus on your wellbeing in general and organize several healthy and funactivities throughout the year
- Excellent written and verbalcommunication skills
- Self-directed and able towork without supervision
- Team player – works well asan individual and with co-workers
- Energetic and eager totackle new projects and ideas
- Highly self-started,motivated individual who thrives in a multi-tasking, fast pacedenvironment
- Passionate about hospitalityindustry and the ability to make things brilliant
- Punctual and strongorganizational skills
- Flexible in workingdifferent shifts, like: AM, PM and during the nights
- Good communication or socialskills
WHAT TOEXPECT IF YOU APPLY FOR THE 3-YEAR PROGRAM AFTER COMPLETING ORIENTATION
Our3-year long In-Service Trainee Program allows you to truly experience theindustry from the ground up, where our founders and many of our leadersbegan. You will get immersed in Marriott’s culture and business and findyour true calling in the travel industry. The program equips traineeswith practical skills, theoretical knowledge and a broad understanding of theindustry. You will learn first-hand about a hotel’s operations.
Traineesare placed with a new hotel that forms part of the Marriott group of hotels inSouth Africa each year. Trainees are transferred to gain the experienceof working in different types of hotels (i.e. city centre, resort, country;different star-gradings; different managers to learn different managementstyles). The location at which a trainee may be placed is at thediscretion of the program managers, although the personal circumstances of thetrainee will be taken into consideration where possible. Trainees willspend a minimum of 1 year with a hotel before being transferred to a newhotel. Hotel transfers take place in January of each respective year andtrainees are advised by the end of November where they have been placed for thefollowing year.
Each yearfocusses on different aspects of the business, however discipline exposure mayoverlap:
- HospitalityManagement: 1st year Food & Beverage relatedoperations; 2nd year Rooms Division related operations; 3rdyear Back of house & management related operations.
- Professional Cookery:1st year Cold Food & related preparation; 2ndyear Hot Food & related preparation; 3rd year All Foodpreparation functions & management operations.
Thetheoretical aspect of the industry is covered by study-release periods at Hotelor Culinary School, as well as attending a number of short courses andcompleting online eLearning programmes during each year. The trainees arealso required to study and complete a portfolio of evidence in their owntime. The costs of these are carried by the company.
Graduatesare required to take up employment with the company for one year upongraduation and the company supports all graduates to acquire suitable full-timeand permanent employment.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employercommitted to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability,veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
We are seeking to employ an experienced and qualified Midwife and Unit Manager for one of our clients, a Private Hospital based in East London. The incumbent...
From Rpo Services - KwaZulu-Natal
Published a month ago
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced and trained Advanced Life Support Medic to oversee the paramedic team in the private sector. The successful...
From Rpo Services - Gauteng
Published a month ago
Are you a Senior Developer skilled in .Net Development? Well we have the right job for you! A well-established IT company is seeking a Senior .Net Developer to...
From Tumaini Consulting - Gauteng
Published a month ago
Product Manager Location: Media24 house-Cape Town City Centre 24.com is appointing a Product Manager situated at our office in Cape Town, working with various...
From 24.Com - Western Cape
Published a month ago